Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Logic v Gut

so part of the reason for one of my questions in the giveaway is because we are really contemplating #3. None of my close friends have 3 (or really are considering it) so that makes it seem wackier. lol but my one online friend who just had 3 last fall swears 2-3 is MUCH easier. I told her if we go for 3 and it's harder...one of them is moving in with her. lol



It seems all logic says 2 is the right number. our bedrooms work easier, we're overwhelmed sometimes with 2, the girls get along great, it'd be cheaper (we'd be done with 1/2 day care costs next year). but my gut says three.



the girls are 22 months apart and that was HARD. for at least a year. and it's not easy now...but easier. :) so we always said IF three we'd put almost 3 years between 2 and 3. however.... that time is quickly approaching. The first month we'd consider trying....would be NEXT MONTH! eek! I just don't know. I wouldn't want to wait more than a year more because I don't want too much space between then. 5,3 and a baby. Is that doable for us? (or 7,5, and a 2 yr old. lol)



and how will that change the girls' dynamic? will bean 2 because the "middle child"?? of course dh is 3 of 4. :) NO WAY ON FOUR THOUGH. ;)



Of course bean2 today switched from a crib to a mat at day care (she's been in a bed at home for 3 months now) and also used the potty for the first time there (and did it FOUR times!).



what wins? logic or the gut? and how do you know when????

2 comments:

ThriftyMommy said...

I've had a saying - "If you have one, you have to have two. If you have three, you have to have four. After four, it doesn't matter how many more you have."

Some of my reasons for this are that children seem to work better in pairs. If you have three, you seem to have a middle child that gets left out. I'm a teacher and even before I had kids of my own, I would see this in families. The oldest child would get help on the homework, be involved in sports, get all the oldest child attention. The youngest would get babied, held, etc., and the youngest would just look so lost. I guess it's easier to see from the outside.

The middle child thing can be helped though, especially since you know it exists. I think it's important to help that middle child find an identity and to help them find their worth.

These are just things to think about. I'm just trying to add to the conversation. You need to do what's right for you and your family. You still have a few more months to think on it and mull it over. Good luck. I know it's not easy.

P.S. Check your inbox for an email from me.

Katie Swaner said...

ugh. Such a hard decision. We aren't having 3 only because of money. Everytime I deal with birth control I hate it. I don't think there is a right answer though. good luck